Tuesday 1 October 2013

Influenced #1 ~ Hayley Williams

A few weeks ago I bought the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's book Influenced and have read most of it (I will get to the end of it soon, I'm just a suuuper slow reader!).  I've found it really interesting reading about the people who have had an impact on their lives in terms of fashion, art, attitude etc. and thought I'd like to make my own version as a little series on here.  I want to share with you the people who have inspired and ultimately influenced me across my 22 years, so here goes, the first of what I hope to be many!

Source - hayleywilliamsedits.tumblr.com
Thinking about people who have influenced me the first person to come to mind had to be Hayley Williams.  The the lead singer of Paramore, a band I discovered aged 14/15 and have loved ever since, her style has evolved as she, and the band, have grown up, and I feel that she has had such a lasting influence on me, and many others, as we've grown up with her over the years.

Hayley is a couple of years older than me and being able to watch her go through the transition from tomboy teenager to the style icon she has now become for many has definitely influenced the way in which I grew up and tackled the awkward teenage years.  As Julie Greenwald (Atlantic records) says 'She was never a young, fabricated artist.  She still styles herself.  She knows who she is and who she wants to be.' 
That self assurance and self belief is definitely one of the ways in which Hayley has influenced me and my style.  She made it okay to be 'that weirdo with five colours in her hair' (anyone who was a McFly fan back in the day will get that one!) or to wear what ever the hell you pleased, because it's your life and what's the point of not being yourself.

Source - hayleywilliamsedits.tumblr.com
'Baby Bangs' and bright orange hair ~ source - omghayley.tumblr.com

Hayley's hair is one of the things she is most known for.  She has been almost every colour of the rainbow and managed to suit all of them.  She does, however, always seem to come back to vibrant reds and oranges in varying shades giving her a flame like look, especially when leaping about on stage!


Hayley's ever-changing hair ~ source - welovewilliams.tumblr.com

Hayley writes many of Paramore's songs and her lyrics are always so relatable that you are able to connect with what she is saying every time.  She manages to write songs that feel as though she's singing straight to you while at the same time commanding an arena full of people.  Jeremy Davis (Paramore's bass player) puts it perfectly 'I think the reason why most people respond to Hayley is because of her lyrics.  Even though some of her songs are dark and heavy, if you listen to the words there's hope.  She writes her life stories really.'

' Last Hope' ~ source - alliwantedwasbands.tumblr.com


Hayley's fashion has ranged over the years from polo shirts and skinny jeans with distinctly tomboy touches to her looks today, tough outfits with feminine touches and punk over tones.  Her look has always just seem ed so achingly cool to me and she always always pulls off whatever she is wearing with such flare and attitude that it just works.


A little selection of Hayley's style ~ sources - tumblr tag #hayleywilliams
Hayley Williams is definitely one of my biggest style influences and icons and has been for almost 10 years now, and hopefully will be for another 10 to come!

Are you a fan of Hayley Williams' style? Let me know in the comments what you think of her looks and also who else I should feature in this series in the future.

x


No comments:

Post a Comment