Thursday 26 June 2014

Buy Less, Value More


Last night was the start of a brand new series I'd been looking forward to since I heard about it a couple weeks ago.  Dawn O'Porter's This Old Thing is a guide to vintage shopping for those who never stray too far from the high street.

I don't claim to be super knowledgable about the vintage clothing industry but I do have an interest in it, and would love to own a few more pieces.  As Dawn says 'buy less, value more', and it really is true.  Of the few vintage pieces I own they are some of my favourite things to wear.  I love knowing that I'm wearing something with a back story, something that no one else is going to be wearing and something that I've chosen for me, not because it's been marketed in a way to appeal to me right now.

The first episode of the show saw Dawn assist two women with reservations about vintage shopping, both to be converted to the pre-loved way of shopping.  I also loved that she featured a section of customising vintage pieces.  I think a lot of people can be put off by the worry that they will look as if they've been left behind and will look unfashionable.  By customising, tailoring, altering and showing that you can transform something you like into a garment you love is such a great idea.

I can't wait for next weeks episode and will definitely be checking out Dawn's scrapbook at channel4.com/dawn (I may have also just ordered the book!)

I'd love to know anyone else's opinion on the show and tips for vintage shopping :)

Steph
x

No comments:

Post a Comment